Less than a year after Freddy's Frozen Custard & Steakburgers opened its first Midlands location at Killian Crossing on Valentine's Day 2017, Steak 'n Shake has announced its return to the Midlands with a location on Killian Road.
Both restaurants are known for their thin-pattied steakburgers and shoestring fries . . . so what does one restaurant offer that the other doesn't? Here, The State explores the differences between the two that may help both eateries thrive less than a mile from each other.
▪ Kids eat free. At Steak 'n Shake, every $9 spent earns a free kids meal for kids 12 and under. The offer is available at more than 400 locations nationwide.
▪ 2 for $3. While Steak 'n Shake has long been known for its specials and deals, it recently rolled out a "2 for $3" value menu that lets guests mix and match any two value menu items. The menu offers 49 different combinations including the Swiss 'n mushroom steakburger, the spicy chipotle steakburger, a grilled cheese sandwich and more.
▪ Half-price price happy hour. From 2-5 p.m. on weekdays, all shakes and drinks are half price at Steak 'n Shake.
▪ Four items under $24. Steak 'n Shake has an extensive value menu with two dozen menu items under $4.
But don't worry about Freddy's. It has it's own loyal following, in part due to:
▪ Faithful fans of its frozen custard. A frozen sweet treat that is smoother and richer than ice cream, frozen custard originated on New York's Coney Island at the turn of the 20th century. At Freddy's, the custard is fresh churned throughout the day, every day. Order a "concrete" frozen custard to get a treat so thick it can be served upside down.
▪ Fried pickles. Sliced pickles breaded and fried are a big hit at Freddy's, where they are served with a ranch dipping sauce in a large basket as an appetizer or as a side with a combo meal.
▪ 93-cent frozen custard treats. To celebrate the 93rd birthday of Freddy’s co-founder — Freddy Simon — Freddy’s is offering 93-cent frozen custard treats through Sunday. Also, guests with receipts that show a guest number ending in 93 will receive a free combo meal card.
▪ Fun Sundae names. Freddy’s has some interesting Sundae concoctions that have fun names to match. The Dirt n’ Worms Sundae has vanilla custard, Oreo cookies, Gummie Worms, whipped cream and a cherry. Steak n’ Shake, meanwhile, has a Frosted Flakes milkshake.