Someone in the midst of cooking a Thanksgiving meal Wednesday night caused a fire at a St. Andrews-area apartment that displaced 10 families.
Columbia fire chief Aubrey Jenkins said Thursday one tenant was cut by glass and 14 units at Briargate apartments were damaged. He estimated overall damage at $200,000.
A kitchen fire broke out about 9 a.m. Wednesday in apartment 503 after a man left food cooking on the stove while he left the apartment, Jenkins said.
"They had a turkey in the oven (too)," the fire chief said.
Flames climbed the walls and damaged six units while water from a burst pipe damaged eight additional apartments, Jenkins said.
A woman escaping from a third floor apartment was cut as she fled, but no other injuries were reported, he said.
The Red Cross is helping the displaced families from the complex located 501 Menlo Drive.