Two South Carolinians are among five candidates vying to become the eighth Episopcal bishop of the Upper Diocese of South Carolina, a diocesan search committee announced Friday.
The five candidates include:
- The Very Rev. John B. Burwell, rector of the Church of the Holy Cross, Sullivan's Island
- The Rev. David F.O. Thompson, rector of St. Bartholomew's Church, North Augusta
- The Rev. Canon Dr. Neal O. Michell, Canon to the Ordinary, Episcopal Diocese of Dallas
- The Rev. W. Andrew Waldo, rector of Trinity Episcopal Church, Excelsior, Minn.
- The Rev. Jerre Stockton Williams, Jr., rector, St. Peter's Episcopal Church, Kerrville, Texas
The candidates will come to South Carolina Nov. 21-22 for two "Walk-Abouts" to allow delegates to the electing convention and other interested persons to meet and talk with them. The Nov. 21 meeting will take place at St. John's Episcopal Church in Columbia. The Nov. 22 meeting is at Christ Church in Greenville.
The bishop of the Upper Diocese leads parishes in the Midlands and Upstate. Lowcountry Episcopalians are under the leadership of Bishop Mark Lawrence of the Diocese of South Carolina.
The electing convention is scheduled for Dec. 12 at Trinity Episcopal Cathedral in Columbia, with consecration to follow May 22. The new bishop will succeed Bishop Dorsey F. Henderson, who is retiring.
For more information on the candidates and to learn their views on church theology and issues, go to www.bishopsearch.edusc.org.