Representatives from The Salvation Army and Toys for Tots are taking applications for Christmas assistance for families experiencing poverty or financial distress.
Applications will be taken from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. today and again from 9 a.m. to noon Friday at the Ruff Building at the State fairgrounds, 1200 Rosewood Drive.
Families whose applications are approved will receive Christmas gifts prior to Christmas day.
Applicants must bring the following items:
- Picture ID & Social Security cards for everyone residing in the home
- Household Summary from D.S.S.
- Proof of all income in the home for the past 30 days (pay stubs, unemployment statement, SSI Disability, Social Security statement, verification of VA or other pensions.
- Proof of all household expenses paid in the past 30 days (not bills owed).
- A zero statement from the unemployment office for anyone 18 or older with zero income.
The Salvation Army in Columbia serves people in Richland, Fairfield, Newberry and Lexington counties.