Residents of Columbia’s Finlay House were given the go-ahead to return home about 12:30 p.m. after an inspection this morning by the Columbia fire marshal.
Interim fire chief Aubrey Jenkins said the inspection turned up some “four or five” smoke detectors and a few fire horns that weren’t working.
But the 19-story apartment complex has plenty of smoke detectors and fire horns in working order, he said.
“They’ve got the problems resolved with the electrical breaker,” Jenkins added.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
About 170 senior citizens were evacuated Thursday afternoon from the high rise, at Blossom and Harden streets in Five Points, after a first-floor breaker exploded that morning. Two electricians, connected with Shealy and Sons Electric, were injured.
The Joseph M. Still Burn Center in Augusta, Ga., would not release patient information on the two, Robert Cunningham, 72, and his grandson Ryan Cunningham, 22.
Managers know where residents have been staying, Jenkins said, and will take care of notifying them that they can return home.
Residents were moved out because the explosion left the building without electricity.