Columbia-Richland Fire Department battled a blaze late Wednesday in a compost pile at Wildewood Country Club at 90 Mallet Hill Road in Northeast Richland.
No structures were in jeopardy, according to fire department spokesman Brick Lewis.
The fire department was called after 9 p.m. and initially thought a structure was on fire, Lewis said. Firefighters found instead that a compost heap the size of a football field was on fire and putting out a lot of smoke.
The fire was extinguished around 3 a.m. and both lanes of Mallet Hill Road were reopened around 3 a.m.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
It's undetermined how the fire started as of Thursday afternoon, Lewis said. It could have started due to fireworks or dry conditions, he said.
But it isn't the only July 4 fire where fireworks are a suspected culprit. The department responded to about 50 calls of firework-related blazes from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m., he said.