Lexington County firefighters were unable to revive a family dog found inside a burning home at 217 Shannon St. in Gaston late Wednesday afternoon.
Battalion Chief Billy Gardner said in a news release that fire crews found heavy smoke coming from the residence when they arrived at 5:25 p.m. He said the property owner discovered the fire when he returned home from work. No people were injured, but a Lexington County EMS crew was unable to revive the dog.
The cause of the blaze, which caused an estimated $33,000 damage, hasn't been determined, Gardner said, but does not appear to be suspicious.
- Joette Riehle
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.