More details have been released about an elderly couple in Greenville who died of carbon monoxide poisoning during the massive winter snow storm.
Greenville County Coroner Parks Evans said in an email that 86-year-old Ruby Bell and her husband, 87-year-old Robert Bell, appear to have died Friday night and were found by their son the next day. They had been married for more than 67 years.
The coroner’s office released a statement saying the couple lost power on Friday morning and had set up a generator in their garage.
Their son came to the house Saturday morning after not being able to contact them and found the garage door was closed. The coroner’s office said the son found a strong odor of gasoline exhaust in the house.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The State
The deaths were ruled accidental.
The South Carolina Highway Patrol said a pedestrian was killed in a weather-related crash.
An emailed news release said the crash happened Saturday afternoon in Greenville County. The patrol says a 44-year-old man was walking along the road when a vehicle hit a frozen area and struck him.
From early Friday morning through Saturday night, the patrol responded to 541 crashes, assisted 241 motorists and responded to 110 calls about trees or powerlines in the road.
The patrol said it has resumed normal operations after the storm.