North Carolina

Homeless man arrested in rape of woman who was walking near uptown Charlotte

Police on Wednesday arrested a homeless man in the rape of a woman who was walking near uptown Charlotte when she was attacked Nov. 1. The suspect, 19-year-old Robert Anthony Thomas Jr., is shown being taken by a Charlotte-Mecklenburg police officer to CMPD headquarters Wednesday afternoon.
Police on Wednesday arrested a homeless man in the rape of a woman who was walking near uptown Charlotte when she was attacked Nov. 1. The suspect, 19-year-old Robert Anthony Thomas Jr., is shown being taken by a Charlotte-Mecklenburg police officer to CMPD headquarters Wednesday afternoon. Screen grab of WBTV video

Police on Wednesday arrested a homeless man in connection with the rape of a woman who was walking near uptown Charlotte when she was attacked early on Nov. 1.

Robert Anthony Thomas Jr., 19, was arrested on warrants charging him with first-degree forcible rape, kidnapping and common law robbery, Mecklenburg County jail records show. Thomas was jailed on $80,000 bail, according to jail records.

Robert Anthony Thomas Jr.jpg
Robert Anthony Thomas Jr. Mecklenburg County jail

The victim “tried to get a ride home that morning and couldn’t,” Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Sgt. Alli Rooks said at a news conference Monday, The Charlotte Observer previously reported. She was walking at about 3 a.m. in the 1700 block of West Morehead Street when she was attacked, Rooks said.

The sergeant called the assault “an isolated incident, very rare in the uptown area or anywhere in Charlotte,” the Observer reported.

Joe Marusak: 704-358-5067; @jmarusak
Related stories from The State in Columbia SC

  Comments