Wando defensive lineman Gimel President was already on the 2012 recruiting boards of many schools throughout the Southeast. After college coaches begin to see his production to start this season, he may be headed for a more prominent position on all of them.
Warriors coach Jimmy Noonan raves about the 6-foot-4, 240-pound junior’s overall upside.
“His first two steps are explosive, and he’s a strong kid,” Noonan said. “He’s going to be over a 300-pound power cleaner. That tells you a lot about his hips. We’ve clocked him on the track at 4.66, so he moves very well for a defensive tackle. I envision him being at least 275 to 285. More than anything, though, he has the feet.”
President plays defensive end in Wando’s 3-4 scheme. He could fill a similar role at the next level or he could bulk up and become a penetrating 3-technique.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
North Carolina and Maryland are the schools that have offered President so far. A number of others, including South Carolina and Clemson, are recruiting him.
Through two games, President has 14 tackles, including 10 solo stops and two for loss, three sacks, a quarterback hurry, two forced fumbles and an interception.
President isn’t the only Wando junior attracting attention.
Offensive tackle Tyler Stasky, who stands 6-9, 272 pounds, is also drawing significant Division I interest. Stasky doesn’t have any offers yet, but Noonan said he is being recruited by USC, Clemson, North Carolina and N.C. State.
“A lot of folks are asking us for his early film from this season,” Noonan said. “They’ll get it in a couple of days.”
Summerville tailback De’Angelo Henderson has put himself on the recruiting radar of a number of FBS schools with a big start to his senior campaign.
The Spartanburg Herald-Journal reported this week that Henderson has recently received calls from LSU, North Carolina, Maryland and Georgia Tech.
The 5-foot-8, 190-pounder had nearly 300 all-purpose yards against Berkeley and ran for 259 against Conway. He had 1,567 yards and 15 touchdowns in 2009.
“We feel like DeAngelo’s name,” Summerville offensive coordinator Joseph Call said told the Herald-Journal, “is getting out there more now.”
Still in limbo
It could be months and perhaps even longer before the NCAA finalizes its investigation into the allegations of misconduct within the North Carolina football program. That has left a number of recruits, including UNC’s 17 commitments, waiting in limbo to see what fallout is going to occur in Chapel Hill.
The Tar Heels’ class of 2011 is currently ranked 16th nationally by rivals.com. Ten of UNC’s commits are from the state of North Carolina, and several of them were considering other schools, including South Carolina, before making their choices.
However, it doesn’t appear there will be mass decommitments among any of UNC’s commits any time soon.
Fayetteville (N.C.) Observer writer Sammy Batten, one of the state’s most respected recruiting analysts, said that the members of the class have decided to stick with the Tar Heels for now. That means other schools hoping to poach may not have any luck.
“What you are seeing with other guys, some of the more highly ranked ones, that they are going after and haven’t committed anywhere are taking a wait-and-see approach to see what transpires, especially with the NCAA investigation,” Batten said.
Considering the number of commitments that the Tar Heels currently have, Batten believes this bulk of this recruiting class is complete. If these 17 remain in the fold, he thinks UNC will only be in the market for a handful of elite prospects that likely won’t make their decisions until at least December.
Batten said it’s also too early to learn what impact the departure of associate head coach John Blake, who served as defensive line coach and recruiting coordinator, will ultimately have. Blake, who resigned Sunday, is considered one of the nation’s best recruiters and had played a large role in helping UNC stockpile talent in recent years, especially on defense.