Defensive lineman Dantrell Barkley on Wednesday was the latest junior college target to visit South Carolina since the weekend.
Barkley (6-4, 285) is originally from and Kannapolis, N.C., who is now at Independence Community College in Kansas.
He follows offensive lineman Damien Lewis and defensive ends Jabari Ellis and Dorian Gerald as junior college prospects with USC offers and with the Gamecocks high up on their list. Barkley worked out in the camp and did some individual drills for defensive line coach Lance Thompson.
“Coach Thompson just wanted to see what my mindset was with positioning and how I’m doing hip-wise, how I throw my hips, individual stuff like that,” Barkley said. “He emphasized stuff like that. He wanted to see hand placement, stuff like that. I think I answered all their questions.”
Barkley also talked with Thompson and Will Muschamp about their recruiting interest in him and it was made clear to him there’s a place for him in the program.
“They were talking about their depth at defensive tackles and how I can fit in a role with their defensive tackles graduating and how I can come in and compete for a job and play,” Barkley said. “And Muschamp was talking about how it’s close to home and I would be able to play for him close to home.”
Barkley has had USC as his favorite and the visit Wednesday just reinforced that feeling. He even had a thought about committing on the visit.
“Yes, it crossed my mind, but I didn’t want to be overwhelmed with everything because I might go visit some other schools and I want to take everything in before deciding,” he said. “But I plan on committing within a week or two. It still feels like home. It’s like a home base family, family-oriented, USC.”
Barkley said he is also looking at possible visits to N.C. State, Kentucky and Arkansas State. He said Kentucky and N.C. State are close to offering. He also has offers from Colorado and Colorado State.
▪ USC offered 2019 DE Quashon Fuller of Fort Myers, Fla. He’s currently a Florida State commitment.
▪ USC offered 2020 LB Jaylen Harrell of Tampa.
▪ DE Dorian Gerald of Florence and College of the Canyons (Calif.) visited Tennessee on Wednesday. He was at USC on Monday.
▪ OL Wyatt Campbell of Lugoff-Elgin was offered by Arizona State. He said USC and Clemson are showing him interest now and he plans to camp at both, hoping to earn an offer. “Just come to camp and we will make a decision based on your performance,” the coaches have told hm. Campbell also has recent offers from Maryland, Virginia Tech, Missouri and The Citadel. He also has offers from Louisville, Virginia, NC State and Duke among others.
▪ DE Trajan Jeffcoat of Irmo was offered by Liberty.
▪ WR Devaun Roberts of Zephyrhills, Fla., was at USC on Wednesday. The Gamecocks have not offered but invited him in for a visit. “They just recently started recruiting me after emailing them my spring game highlights. I just observed and was shown around the facility by the recruiting coordinator. They have a great facility.” Roberts has an offer from Warner University.
▪ Class of 2019 basketball prospect Malcolm Wilson (6-11) plans to visit USC Saturday, according to Justin Byerly of PrepHoopsSC.