South Carolina’s football team was again starting with the harder-hitting work Monday, and a coach showed off a couple moves on the Gamecocks’ most important player.
▪ Inside linebackers coach and special teams coordinator Coleman Hutzler was loose and excited Monday during stretching, showing off his best wrestling moves on Jake Bentley. As the sophomore quarterback stretched, an amped-up Hutzler pretended to deliver a leg drop and elbow drop. Bentley responded by tossing a stretching band at Hutzler as the period finished up.
▪ Watching Hutzler manage the team during punt work, it makes sense why he’s suited to run that kind of full-team situation. His voice carries particularly well across the field and he’s at full boom most of the time.
▪ The practice opened with the team’s “cock drill,” one-on-one, full-go blockers against defender. There were a few notable outcomes, starting with a young runner.
... Sophomore tailback Rico Dowdle had two good reps, including blowing over a young linebacker.
... Junior tight end Hayen Hurst started flexing after pushing a reserve defender around.
... Running back Mon Denson managed to upend freshman linebacker Sherrod Greene.
... Junior college offensive tackle Dennis Daley did a good job controlling defensive tackle Javon Kinlaw.
... One of the later reps pitted UNC transfer tailback Ty’Son Williams against senior linebacker Bryson Allen-Williams. After hitting each other, there was a quick, friendly tap on the helmet.
▪ The open portion of practice ended with the defense going through a turnover circuit. Every position went through drills slapping the ball out from the front, the back and on strip sacks, with some interception catching as well.
▪ The quarterbacks and running backs were again working on under-center handoffs, something that wasn’t a part of the offense last season.
▪ Starting defensive backs Chris Lammons, D.J. Smith and Rashad Fenton were in yellow non-contact jerseys. Freshman safety Jaylin Dickerson was in yellow as well, as was running back C.J. Freeman. Wide receiver Randrecous Davis, defensive back Tavyn Jackson and tight end K.C. Crosby were back in regular uniform after wearing yellow parts of last week.
▪ The next practice with a media viewing period is Friday morning.