South Carolina wide receiver Tori Gurley said Friday he hasn’t made a decision about whether to skip his final two years of eligibility and enter the NFL draft this spring.
Gurley, a redshirt sophomore, has submitted paperwork to the NFL’s underclassmen advisory committee but has not yet received the report predicting what round he might be selected.
Gurley tied a school record with 14 catches against Vanderbilt earlier this year, but he had 28 catches in the other 12 games. He has 42 catches for 420 yards and four touchdowns headed into the Dec. 31 Chick-fil-A Bowl against Florida State.
“Coach (Steve) Spurrier encourages us all to send in our papers and see where we stand at, and I’m waiting on my grade to get back,” he said after the Gamecocks finished a morning practice. “As of right now, I am doing everything it takes to win this game. I am not leaning toward anything.”
The NFL’s response might not be the determining factor for Gurley, a 6-foot-5, 230-pound Rock Hill native. He doesn’t have a round projection in mind that would lead him to go or stay, he said.
“The coaches they do a great job of coaching me up, but I want to get a scout’s evaluation,” he said. “I’m not worried about it at all. I am just worried about this game on the 31st.”
Spurrier encourages his players to return to school unless they are expected to be a first-round pick.
“I understand that philosophy because at that time the money is guaranteed. But we’re just waiting on my grade, and we are going to build from there,” Gurley said.
Gurley has played two years at USC but has been out of high school since 2006. Players must be three years removed from their high school graduation to be eligible for the NFL draft.
Offensive lineman Rokevious Watkins also entered paperwork asking for a draft evaluation.