South Carolina has offered running back Justin Crawford of Northwest Mississippi Community College.
Crawford (6-0, 195) rushed for 1,600 yards and 16 touchdowns and caught 29 passes for 394 yards and six scores last season in helping his team to the junior college national championship game. The Columbus, Ga., native was named the National Junior College Athletic Association Offensive Player of the Year.
His top schools right now are USC, Missouri, West Virginia, Georgia and Texas A&M. Crawford took an official visit to Louisville in December. He is planning to visit Missouri this weekend and USC Jan. 29.
The Gamecocks this weekend are set to host running back Tyren Jones (5-9, 212) of Hutchinson Community College.
USC already has two running backs in the 2016 class: C.J. Freeman (5-11, 196) of Greensboro, N.C., is already enrolled in classes. Rico Dowdle (5-11, 207) of Asheville, N.C., committed earlier this month and took his official visit to Columbia this past weekend.
USC interested in 2016 DB
USC recruiter Travaris Robinson met with DB Torrian Hampton (6-4 185) of Lakeland, Fla. Tuesday.
“He was telling me they really like my film and will call me tonight or tomorrow,” Hampton said. “He said he likes how I come down and make tackles and hit, and how long I am.”
USC has not offered. Hampton will visit Middle Tennessee State this weekend and Bowling Green on Jan. 29 but said a USC offer would lead to a visit there. Last season he had 85 tackles and seven pass breakups.
News and notes
▪ QB Tylin Oden of Columbia, Tenn., met with USC’s Kurt Roper on Tuesday. It was the second meeting between the two and he believes Roper will offer after an official visit, the date for which has not been set. Oden will visit Rutgers on Wednesday and Iowa State this weekend.
▪ USC DB target Kristian Fulton appears locked in to official visits this weekend at Arkansas and next weekend at Florida.
▪ Class of 2017 DE Logan Rudolph of Northwestern will visit USC Jan. 30 to meet with the coaches and take in the basketball game. He was offered by Miami on Tuesday.
▪ USC Tuesday offered 2017 DB Deon Jones of Washington, D.C.
▪ DB Daniel Thomas of Montgomery, Ala., said he’s expecting a visit from his USC recruiter this week, and Clemson is still in the mix. He visited USC last weekend and might visit Clemson or Maryland this weekend. He had an in-home visit with North Carolina today and is also expecting Auburn, Mississippi State and Minnesota to visit this week.
▪ USC’s Will Muschamp and Lance Thompson visited DE Jacoby Hill of Atlanta Tuesday. He visits USC Jan. 29.