Perry, Campbell remain tied for Masters lead

AUGUSTA, Ga. | Chad Campbell kept chugging along at the Masters, while Kenny Perry finally showed a few glitches in his game.

And don't forget that other guy surging into the mix.

Tiger Woods?

No, Jim Furyk.

Campbell and Perry started Saturday's third round tied for the lead, and they matched each other virtually stroke for stroke until Perry made back-to-back bogeys in Amen Corner on another warm spring afternoon at Augusta National.

Perry, trying to become golf's oldest major champion at 48, had pulled ahead by a stroke until he needed three putts to get down from the front of the green at No. 11. The putter got away from him on the next hole, too, as he rammed one 15 feet past it and missed again, dropping to 10 under.

Until those slip-ups, Perry had been playing beautifully. He went 30 straight holes going back to Thursday without a bogey, including a 5-under-par 67 in the second round.

Campbell was grinding along with his own bogey-free round through 12 holes, an 11-under total putting him one stroke ahead of Perry and Angel Cabrera, the 2007 U.S. Open winner and a perennial Masters contender.

The Tiger-like charge was provided by another former U.S. Open winner.

Furyk, who captured his only major at Olympia Fields in 2003, was making the biggest move on Moving Day. He ripped off three straight birdies on the back side, including a chip-in at No. 15, to get to 5 under for the round and 9 under overall.

Woods had another solid round, shooting 70, but he needed something spectacular. He's never won any of his 14 major championships when trailing after 54 holes, and he'll likely need a monumental comeback to have a chance Sunday.

Woods was at 4-under 212 — a daunting seven strokes behind Campbell.

"I didn't shoot a 64 or 63 today," Woods said. "Well, actually I did. I just had to play a couple of more holes after that."

Once again, he talked about how hard the course was playing, hardly sounding like a potential winner — especially when soft greens from an overnight storm made it more generous than usual.

"Today was as hard as I've ever fought to get a score out of it," Woods said. "I just didn't hit the ball as precise as I needed to do."

Woods' pursuit of a fifth Masters title began Saturday with a tee shot into the trees left of the first fairway. He wound up three-putting for a double-bogey 6.

"I just got off to a terrible start," he said. "But I fought back and got myself somewhat back in it."

Two-time Masters champion Phil Mickelson was in a similar spot. He birdied all four of the par-5s and finished with a 71, giving Lefty a glimmer of hope heading to the final round.

"You're never out of it," Mickelson said. "I need a good round tomorrow, and the golf course is susceptible to that. If you hit some good golf shots, you can attack some pins."

He said to have a chance on Sunday, "it's going to take a 64 or (6)5. But I think it's out there.".