Josh Lindsey’s long-distance love affair continued on Friday as the junior hit five 3-pointers on his way to a game-high 25 points for North Myrtle Beach in a 62-46 win over visiting Carolina Forest.
Lindsey hit six 3-pointers in a win over West Brunswick (N.C.) on Tuesday and has scored a combined 51 points in his last two games.
Senior guard Jaquan Grissett added 22 points for the Chiefs, who improved to 6-1.
North Myrtle Beach coach Frank Moorhead called the win his team’s most complete effort of the season.
“This is the first game where I’ve thought we’ve had everybody play well and a little more consistently,” Moorhead said. “…We feel like if we can shoot the ball well and step up our defense, we can be a pretty decent team.”
The Chiefs shot and defended well early on. Lindsey hit three 3-pointers en route to a 13-point first quarter, and North Myrtle Beach held Carolina Forest without a field goal for a span of 7 minutes and 20 seconds while going on a 17-2 run to open up a 13-point lead with just under seven minutes left in the first half.
After trailing by 19 at the half, the Panthers cut into the lead in the third, getting with 7 on a Donovan Williams jumper in the lane with 3:43 to go in the third.
“You’re going to have a few possessions where you don’t score, so you’ve got to stop the other team. You’ve got to realize that as a team, and get down, play some [defense], get a rebound and take care of the ball,” Moorhead said.
Carolina Forest (1-5) was led by Jawan Butler’s 11 points. Isaac Wathen added 10 points and Ryan Yuracheck had a game-best nine rebounds along with eight points.
– Zavier Jones 5, Chris Johnson 3, Parker Nelgerson 6, Ryan Yuracheck 8, Isaac Wathen 10, Donvoan Williams 3, Jawan Butler 11
– Cameron Gore 1, Josh Lindsey 25, Jeff Vereen 1, Jaquan Grissett 22, Delonzo Williams 2, Matt Lindsey 3, Forrest Vereen 3, Marshawn Scott 5
• 3-point goals: Carolina Forest 2 (Jones 1, Nelgerson 1), North Myrtle Beach 7 (J. Lindsey 5, Grissett 1, M. Lindsey 1). Team fouls: Carolina Forest 24, North Myrtle Beach 20. Fouled out: Johnson (Carolina Forest). Technical fouls: None.
Records: Carolina Forest 1-5, North Myrtle Beach 5-1
NMB girls improve to 6-0
•(At) N. Myrtle Beach 49, Carolina Forest 38
| India Farmer had a game-high 24 points and 15 rebounds for the Chiefs as they improved to 6-0.
Both teams struggled on offense. The Panthers shot 34.2% from the field in the game, while North Myrtle Beach shot 33.3%.
The Chiefs were 10-for-35 from the field (28.6%) in the first half, but still managed to take a 26-22 into halftime.
The teams combined for 65 turnovers.
•CAROLINA FOREST (38)
– Cheyenne Pyles 10, Ashley Cole 2, Christina Wright 3, Marisa Runyon 5, Ashleigh Turner 7, Jalah Horton 4, Alexis Tomlin 1, Kia Brisbon 6
•NORTH MYRTLE BEACH (49)
– Sarah McCloskey 2, Ja’Quella Livingston 4, Taylor Allman 13, Indian Farmer 24, Marci Chestnut 4, Laquiesha Stanely 2
• 3-point goals: Carolina Forest 1 (Brisbon). Team fouls: Carolina Forest 16, North Myrtle Beach 14. Fouled out: Turner (Carolina Forest). Technical fouls: None.
• Records: Carolina Forest 2-7, North Myrtle Beach 6-0