Lugoff firefighters found an American alligator in captivity in an apartment complex where they were battling a kitchen fire.
The fire department was called around noon Thursday to the Lynwood apartments on Frenwood Lane where they saw smoke coming from a ground floor unit, according to a press release from the Lugoff Fire Department. They extinguished the fire within six minutes after their arrival.
The firefighters were going door to door to make sure the fire had not spread when they found the alligator in an apartment directly above the one that had caught fire. The alligator was in a large aquarium. The firefighters called the S.C. Department of Natural Resources, which confiscated the alligator, the release said.
The fire was caused by a pot left on a burning stove. Fire damage was limited to the kitchen but here was smoke damage throughout the apartment.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.