Local

THC-laced candies made in Colorado seized on I-95

THC infused candies seized during traffic stop in Florence County
THC infused candies seized during traffic stop in Florence County Photo provided by the Florence County Sheriff's Department

    Candies infused with THC – the active ingredient of marijuana – and a small quantity of hydroponically grown marijuana were seized earlier this week in a traffic stop on I-95, the Florence County Sheriff’s Department said.

    One person was charged with simple possession, said sheriff’s department spokesman Major Michael Nunn.

    Authorities believe the candies were legally produced and purchased in Colorado, Nunn said. Colorado legalized recreational marijuana and marijuana edibles in 2012. Although the items are legal in Colorado, their possession is a crime in South Carolina and many other states.

    “This is the first time, to my knowledge, that we have encountered similarly packaged items in Florence County,” Nunn said.

    Parents should be aware that THC-infused candies may be in the state and their children may, knowingly or unknowingly, get a hold of them, Nunn warned.

    The seized sweets look like jelly candies and “are manufactured to resemble candies available for purchase in retail stores and are virtually indistinguishable from the brand named candies without a chemical analysis,” the sheriff’s department said in a news release.

    Labels on the candy containers stated that they contained about 100 mg of THC and 10 mg of THC per piece but Nunn said he could not confirm that information.

    Adult users of edible medical marijuana products often start with a 10-15mg “low dose” says the website medicaljane.com. Users are warned however that “many first time users are caught off guard by the stronger potency and long-lasting effects,” of edibles. The much smaller body mass of a child who consumes 10 mg of THC in a piece of candy would have an even greater effect.

    Colorado has has now banned THC-infused “gummy bears.”

    The Denver Post reported on a surge of reports by Denver’s Children’s Hospital of kids accidentally eating marijuana.

    Since 2009, 19 children have been admitted for issues related to marijuana ingestion, Desmond Runyan, the executive director of The Kempe Center, told state lawmakers in April.

      Comments