South Carolina picked up future help for the defense Saturday with a commitment from Eldridge Thompson of Coffeyville Community College.
Thompson (6-2, 218) becomes the Gamecocks’ 14th commitment for the 2017 class.
Thompson is a native of Memphis, Tenn., and led Coffeyville in tackles last season with 102, averaging over nine per game. He was the fourth-leading tackler in his conference. He also had three sacks and one interception. And he returned a fumble for a touchdown. He was an honorable mention all-conference selection.
Thompson is a former teammate of newly enrolled Gamecock cornerback Jamarcus King. He visited USC over the weekend and was offered by Will Muschamp. He committed about an hour later.
Never miss a local story.
“I just loved everything about the school and what they had to offer me on and off the field,” Thompson said. “They said the loved my speed and how athletic I’m am. They can play me in the box and out on the slots because of my covering skills.”
Thompson said he also has offers from South Alabama, Middle Tennessee State and South Dakota. He redshirted his first season at Coffeyville due to an ankle injury and will have two years to play two with the Gamecocks. He said he is on track to graduate in December.
Thompson is the third linebacker commitment in the class and sixth overall for the defensive side.
USC 2017 CLASS COMMITMENTS
▪ Jay Urich, QB, Piedmont
▪ Kyshaun Bryan, RB, Fort Lauderdale, Fla
▪ Shawn Smith, WR, Brunswick, Ga.
▪ Shi Smith, WR, Union
▪ Will Register, TE, Chapin
▪ Summie Carlay, OL, Laurens
▪ Dennis Daley, OL, Georgia Military/Columbia
▪ Eric Douglas, OL, Charlotte, NC
▪ Davonne Bowen, LB, Piedmont
▪ Damani Staley, LB, Columbia
▪ Eldridge Thompson, LB, Coffeyville CC (Kansas)/Memphis
▪ Javon Kinlaw, DE, Jones County JC (Miss.)/Goose Creek
▪ Tyreek Johnson, DE, Lakewood/Sumter
▪ Devonte Wyatt, DE, Towers/Decatur, Ga.