Latest News

Here’s how one real estate group plans to use crowdsourcing to remodel a Shandon home

Columbia real estate company flipping Shandon house for charity

The Moore Co. is launching a crowd sourcing experiment to raise funds and awareness for a local charity. The “Flip & Give” home, as it is called, is located at 3317 Duncan St. in the Shandon neighborhood in Columbia.
Up Next
The Moore Co. is launching a crowd sourcing experiment to raise funds and awareness for a local charity. The “Flip & Give” home, as it is called, is located at 3317 Duncan St. in the Shandon neighborhood in Columbia.

A Columbia real estate firm is flipping a Shandon house for charity and it wants the public to design the renovations through social media.

The Moore Co. is launching the crowd sourcing experiment to raise funds and awareness for a local charity. The public can pick the charities as well.

The “Flip & Give” home, as it is called, is located at 3317 Duncan St. in the popular Shandon neighborhood in Columbia. Company co-owner Graeme Moore described the home as a “typical” Shandon bungalow built in the 1920s. “It’s just charming,” he said.

Workers will begin the six-month renovation by mid-August. Moore and partner Justin Drafts purchased the home last year and are now ready to tackle the big project.

“Real estate is 95 percent of what we do,” Moore said. “The other 5 percent, we renovate and flip houses on the side. All of our friends have loved giving us advice on these flips and it’s been pretty good feedback. People get into that kind of thing.

“We thought, ‘What if we did a flip, truly involved the public and let them make the decisions. It seemed to be a neat way to engage the public in a fun and philanthropic way.”

So, beginning Wednesday, voting will open on The Moore Co.’s website. The public will be asked to choose ten integral parts of the home’s design and renovation.

They are:

The master bathroom floor plan;

Roof color and shingle type;

Cabinet choices;

Tile selections, granite and island color;

Front door style and color;

Plumbing fixtures and lighting selections; and,

Hardwood stain.

The votes will be staggered over the next several months. The master bathroom design will be first, with the roof to follow Aug. 13.

Other votes may be added during the process.

“It will be live on the website and we’re going to push it out on social media,” Moore said.

The Moore Co.’s team of Realtors will be advising the community throughout the voting process, Moore said.

Once the home is renovated and sold, the company will donate 100 percent of the net proceeds to charity.

“We hope it’s tens of thousands of dollars,” Moore said.

The company also wants the public to choose which charities will benefit from the sale by making nominations. A team of advisers will help whittle down the pool of nominees. The community’s final Flip & Give vote will be choosing which charities receive donations.

Helping to bolster the bottom line, Moore said, was that local suppliers are pitching in materials and labor for free: S2K Group, Tile Center Inc., NP Strategy, BMC, Sherwin-Williams, Midland Mortgage Corp., East Coast Granite and Tile, Crescent Construction, Meridian Brick and Builders First Source.

“We want to truly involve the public and do some good at the end,” Moore said.

  Comments