‘No reason’ to postpone June primary elections, says Gov. Henry McMaster
There is “no reason” to postpone the statewide primaries in June, S.C. Gov. Henry McMaster said at a Thursday press conference.
The primaries, which will include contests for S.C. House and Senate races, U.S. House seats and various local races, are still on for June 9.
“The end is in sight” for coronavirus, McMaster said shortly after a teleconference with President Donald Trump, who has been eager to restart the economy.
McMaster expressed confidence that absentee voting and other mechanisms in place were enough to keep people safe and still allow voting.
Prisma Health is expecting a “surge” of people to be hospitalized by coronavirus as early as April 22, according to a previous story from The State.
McMaster had already postponed after May 1 the dozens of local and county elections scheduled for March and April, according to the S.C. Elections Commission.
Nationwide, coronavirus has caused electoral chaos. In Wisconsin, consolidated polling locations created long lines and a lack of absentee ballots raised questions about how best to handle elections in the time of pandemics.