Game over: High school sports spring seasons in SC canceled because of coronavirus
Spring high school sports seasons in South Carolina are officially over.
South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster and S.C. Department of Education Superintendent Molly Spearman announced Wednesday that schools in the state will remain closed for the rest of the year because of the coronavirus pandemic.
Schools and sports had been suspended since March 16 because of COVID-19. With the decision Wednesday for no in-person classes for the rest of the year, that brings an end to spring sports seasons around the state.
“We all knew this decision was coming, but it doesn’t make it any easier to hear it,” Lexington baseball coach Brian Hucks said. “It makes it even worse that I can’t tell my players in person, hug them, and make sure they know how much I love each of them. It’s so much more than just the games.”
“As a coach I always cry at the end of the season. When you get to reflect on what the season was, what legacy the seniors have left, the goals reached.. It’s so raw and emotional! Today was no different! I’m going to miss my kids and am so proud they chose Gray Collegiate soccer,” Gray Collegiate girls soccer coach Emily Heise said.
The South Carolina High School League (public schools) and S.C. Independent Schools Association (private schools) had held out hope that school would resume at some point this season and open the door for sports to be played.
The SCHSL Executive Committee met on Wednesday and voted to cancel any remaining seasons. Thirty-six states as of Wednesday morning had already canceled their spring sports.
In addition to spring sports, spring football practice and competitive cheer tryouts also were canceled.
“All spring sports competition for this year has been canceled,” SCHSL Commissioner Jerome Singleton said.
“Definitely not a decision this committee wanted to deal with. Our hearts go out to the students and coaches,” SCHSL executive committee president Ozzie Ahl said.
SCISA Athletic Director Mike Fanning released a statement Wednesday said if restrictions were somehow lifted by June 1 and it was medically safe, he would work with member schools to schedule exhibition games so seniors to be recognized. Games likely would be played without fans.
“While we were hopeful that we would be able to resume, we recognized the need to protect the health and safety of our students, coaches and the communities we serve,” Fanning said.
It was a tough blow for several teams in the Midlands that had good chances to win state championship. Many were ranked near the top of their classifications. A.C. Flora baseball was one of those teams. The Falcons were nationally ranked and were No. 1 in Class 4A in South Carolina.
“Very disappointing. I said it is the longest rainout of our coaching career,” A.C. Flora baseball coach Andy Hallett said. “We had really good vibes and these kids bought in and have put team first. We had a legitimate chance and were talented enough to make run. But as I told our guys, life throws you curveball and we need to do what we can to stay safe and follow protocol.”
Chapin baseball coach Scott McLeod said he got emotional as he sent a long text message to his team on Wednesday. Chapin was in a good spot to possibly win its second state title in three seasons. The Eagles were ranked No. 1 in Class 5A and coming off a three-game sweep of defending champion Dutch Fork before the season was suspended.
“Best team I have ever had. We had the whole package. We had four guys who could throw in the 90s and had a good offense to go along with it,” McLeod said. “I was heartbroken. No words I could say could make them feel better. Seniors have worked so hard and now they aren’t going to get to go playoffs, play in all-stars games. i know they got college careers but they are part of the Chapin family forever.”
“I feel bad for seniors in the whole state. We are all in the same boat. Senior year is important and something you remember forever.”
Athletes and coaches have been doing their best to stay in contact during the time off of school. Some schools have been holding virtual training sessions with their players. Those can continue throughout the end of the school year.
It is uncertain when athletes can begin participating in organized activities. McMaster is starting to lift some of restrictions statewide such as opening beaches and retail stores, but large gatherings and practices are prohibited.
Spearman addressed the issue of summer practices while speaking Wednesday.
“If school is in session, sports can go on,” Spearman said. “Obviously this is little different. We will be working very closely to see what the health of people and communities are over the summer. That would be decision the governor could take. We are just going to get a little closer to see how well people are doing and if schools are to open in August.”
The league said it will follow the governor’s lead in when to open up the season for summer practice. If the restrictions are lifted, the earliest practices can begin is June 1. The committee also said they would be willing to lift the league’s dead period (no workouts) for the week after July 4 to give the athletes an extra week to practice in the summer.
It is unclear what this means for summer activities such as travel baseball and softball, soccer and AAU basketball. S.C. American Legion Baseball announced Saturday it was canceling its season. But Legion teams around the state are hoping to convince the organization to rethink the decision; some teams expressed trying to possibly form an independent league this summer.
Hallett, who coaches for the Upstate Mavericks baseball program in the summer, said he hopes things open up to play in the summer but is being cautious.
“Love to coach baseball this summer but you have to follow protocol,” Hallett said. “I have told our guys to be prepared not to play until August. I’m just being realistic.”
This story was originally published April 22, 2020 at 12:32 PM.