Local

Child with matches causes Columbia apartment fire

The Columbia Fire Department responds to a fire at Bethel Bishop apartments.
The Columbia Fire Department responds to a fire at Bethel Bishop apartments. Courtesy of Columbia Fire Department

A child playing with matches caused a Friday night apartment fire that displaced some 20 people from their homes, officials say.

The Columbia Fire Department responded to the blaze last night at the Bethel Bishop apartments on Ripplemeyer Avenue in north Columbia. There were no injuries in the fire, which caused an estimated $50,000 in damages to four apartments.

The Red Cross is assisting the displaced families.

  Comments