Measles outbreak grows in SC as health officials offer free vaccinations. Here’s new case total
Eight more measles cases have been reported in Upstate South Carolina, all of whom were exposed to previously infected people.
The South Carolina Department of Public Health reported there have been 33 cases since July and 30 in the current outbreak in Spartanburg County. An outbreak is defined as three or more cases.
Dr. Linda Bell, the state epidemiologist, said Wednesday genetic testing is being done to see if South Carolina’s cases are the same as those in other states, but the results have not been returned.
She reiterated the concern that South Carolina’s immunization level has dropped to 90% when 95% offers herd immunity.
She said she believes the decline is the result of people thinking measles is not a serious disease — more like a childhood illness — and information spread on social media.
Bell said measles can cause long-term neurological problems, and even death, especially in children.
The number of people who have taken advantage of the state’s free measles vaccinations in Spartanburg County rose to 24, compared to seven last week. That number includes 19 adults and five children.
Everyone who contracted measles was unvaccinated except one who had one of the two recommended MMR doses, she said.
None of the cases have resulted in hospitalizations, Bell said.
Two Spartanburg County schools have been identified as having cases, including one, Global Academy, where only 17% of students have had the MMR vaccine.
Bell has said 90% of unvaccinated people exposed to the virus will develop the disease, which is characterized initially by high fever, cough and runny nose before a red rash on the face occurs, usually within four days. The rash then spreads to the rest of the body.