Local

Five homeowners have now sued Richland 1 over flooding. Here’s what to know

The Richland 1 School District construction site once called the Vince Ford Early Learning Center on Wednesday, July 23, 2025.
The Richland 1 School District construction site once called the Vince Ford Early Learning Center on Wednesday, July 23, 2025. jboucher@thestate.com

Two more homeowners are suing Richland School District 1, claiming a clear-cut construction site in Lower Richland has caused repeated flooding and property damage. A total of five lawsuits have now been filed against the district as of March 2026, according to The State.

FULL STORY: Two additional homeowners file suits against Richland 1 claiming flood damages

Here are key takeaways:

• The newest complaints, filed March 3, come from Norman and Eva Blais, who bought their home in 2022, and Sarah Sharon Hart, who purchased hers in October 2025 unaware of the flooding. The Blaises say they cannot sell their home or recoup their investment.

• The flooding stems from a 12-acre site on Caughman Road that was clear-cut for a $31 million early learning center that was never built. A 2024 state Office of Inspector General investigation found Richland 1 broke state law and cost taxpayers money on the project.

• The site sits next to Creekside in Reflections, a community of about 51 houses largely belonging to retirees and military members. One lawsuit says the site designs were “inconsistent with standard civil engineering practices … leading to improper stormwater management.”

• The Creekside in Reflections HOA sued the district in November 2025. HOA president Tony Chaviz previously told The State replacing the neighborhood’s damaged 25-year-old drainage system would cost millions — something the small community cannot afford.

• Two earlier lawsuits were filed in July 2024. Homeowner Johna Wilkes, who had lived on her property since 1997, alleged flooding made her home “unlivable.” Another couple, Meaghan and Aleni Ilimaleota, said flooding diminished their property value as they tried to sell before Meaghan’s multi-year Army deployment overseas.

• The district declined to comment on the pending litigation.

The summary points above were compiled with the help of AI tools and edited by journalists. The full story in the link at top was reported, written and edited entirely by journalists.

Related Stories from The State in Columbia SC
Get one year of unlimited digital access for $159.99
#ReadLocal

Only 44¢ per day

SUBSCRIBE NOW