Most area schools remain closed Thursday
Update 11 p.m.
As of 11 p.m. Wednesday night, 551 people were staying at 23 shelters open in South Carolina as a result of the continuing flood emergency.
The South Carolina Emergency Management Division reported fewer than 200 power outages remained statewide.
In Columbia, water service was restored to all but about 10,000 customers, Mayor Steven Benjamin said. Although the boil water advisory was lifted for a small number of those customers, most people who get city water were told to continue boiling their water for at least 60 seconds before using it for drinking, food preparation or ice making.
The latest status update from the state Department of Transportation reported 267 state roads remained closed and 134 state-maintained bridges impassable.
Most Midlands area schools remain closed Thursday, including Lexington Districts 1, 2, & 5 and Richland Districts 1 & 2, Sumter County, Kershaw County and the University of South Carolina - Columbia campus.
Lexington District 4 and Newberry County schools will open on a 2 hour delay on Thursday
Update 6 p.m.
City of Columbia water customers living in the town of Chapin, and nearby, no longer need to boil water used for drinking, food prep or making ice, water officials announced Wednesday evening.
The partial repeal covers customers in the town of Chapin, areas near the Lake Murray Plant, people on Farmers Creek Road and on Broad River Road to Geology Circle.
Everyone else in the region is still covered by the advisory. (VIEW MAP of boil water advisory coverage area.)
Earlier Wednesday, Columbia Mayor Steve Benjamin tweeted that water service has been restored to all but about 10,000 water customers.
Update at 5 p.m.
Flood damage has prompted the state health department to close the Eau Claire Women, Infant and Children (WIC) satellite clinic indefinitely.
Patients seen at the clinic will be provided services at the Richland County Health Department, the DHEC news release stated. Patients should call 803-576-2980.
Update: 3:30 p.m.
The Richland County Sheriff’s Department has identified the two men who were killed when a vehicle they were traveling in became submerged in flood waters in lower Richland County.
Coroner Gary Watts said Robert Bradford Vance, 58, of Lexington, K.Y., and Ricky Allen McDonald, 53, of Chesapeake, Ohio, were pronounced dead after being pulled from a vehicle submerged in flood waters Wednesday afternoon.
Watts said Vance and McDonald were subcontractors for the railroad. They, along with three other subcontractors, were traveling to a job site at 3 a.m. Wednesday when their vehicle drove through a barricade near the 2100 block of Congaree Road and left the roadway.
Watts said the vehicle became submerged in the flood waters that had washed out a portion of the roadway. The other three subcontractors were able to escape the vehicle to safety.
A portion of Congaree Road runs parallel to a railroad line, but it is unclear what job site the men were trying to reach.
The 2100 block of Congaree Road crosses Cedar Creek, which became flooded during historic rainfall over the weekend.
So far, there have been 17 people killed throughout the Carolinas after historic rains and flooding hit the area Sunday and Monday. Nine of those victims were from Richland County, Richland County Sheriff’s Department spokesman Lt. Curtis Wilson said.
Update: 3 p.m.
Richland County Sheriff’s Department officials said residents at The Hub at the University of South Carolina have been evacuated following a water main break.
The State will continue to update this story as more information becomes available.
Update: 2:50 p.m.
Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson will visit Columbia and Charleston on Friday to view damage and recovery from the historic rainfall in South Carolina.
Craig Fugate, administrator of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, visited Columbia on Wednesday.
Gov. Nikki Haley took an aerial tour of damage in the state Wednesday and landed in Conway to get an update on flooding in Horry County.
Update: 2:45 p.m.
Columbia city officials said the city’s solid waste division is now collecting storm debris from citizens throughout its service area and will continue the collection throughout the weekend.
Officials said the following items are now being picked up:
▪ Construction debris, soiled carpets, spoiled dry wall
▪ Electrical debris and small appliances such as broken coffee makers and computers
▪ White goods and large appliances of any color such as refrigerators, freezers and dishwashers
▪ Household garbage
Officials said citizens are requested to sort their storm debris by these categories and place them at the curb. Crews will not enter private yards to collect debris.
Normal household garbage collection will resume on Thursday, officials said. Recycling pick-up and yard waste have been suspended as city crews focus on debris removal. An update will be provided when these services resume.
Citizens whose roll-carts were lost in the storm should call Solid Waste Services at (803) 545-3800 to request a new roll-cart.
Update: 2:30 p.m.
The South Carolina Department of Transportation has issued an updated road closures map. Drivers are urged to find alternate routes around barricaded roads instead of trying to drive through them.
SCDOT road and bridge closures: 2 p.m.
Update: 1:35 p.m.
Richland County deputies are pulling the second body from the water near Congaree Road in lower Richland County, officials said.
Lt. Curtis Wilson, a department spokesman, Richland County Sheriff’s Department officials said dive teams have pulled two bodies body from the waters near the 2100 block of Congaree Road Wednesday afternoon.
Wilson said divers located the bodies after a truck carrying five people drove through a road barricade early Wednesday morning and was swept away by flood waters.
Three of the truck’s occupants made it to safety, Wilson said.
So far, there have been 17 people killed throughout the Carolinas after historic rains and flooding hit the area Sunday and Monday. Nine of those victims were from Richland County, Wilson said.
Gov. Nikki Haley continued to urge motorists to not drive through barricades on flooded roads at a press conference Wednesday afternoon.
"It's closed because we're trying to protect you," Haley said.
If you are searching for a missing loved one, you are urged to call the Richland County Sheriff’s Department at (803) 576-3187.
Update: 1:30 p.m.
The dam on Ulmers Pond in east Columbia has breached, the S.C. Department of Health and Environmental Control reported.
The 75-year-old privately-owned earthen dam on a tributary to Mill Creek is the seventh dam to burst in Richland County since the historic storm Sunday.
The number of dams breached in South Carolina has increased to 13. Another 65 dams are being monitored.
Update: 1:30 p.m.
Officials said Wednesday afternoon that the Beaver Dam has now been secured and is no longer in danger of failing.
National Guard service members installed upwards of 2,000 sandbags at the dam and are planning on installing another 1,100 before construction on the dam can begin.
Engineers are also planning on dropping in rip-rap rocks as well as a wall before construction begins, officials said.
Update: 1 p.m.
Santee Cooper officials said Wednesday that they have increased its controlled spill at the Santee Dam to 82,000 cubic feet of water per second in response to increased inflows coming in from Lake Marion in the Midlands.
Pamela Williams, senior vice president of corporate services, said she wants to assure everyone that Santee Cooper’s dams and dikes are secure.
“We are monitoring these increasing inflows and adjusting our spill to maintain a safe level of water in Lake Marion and our lower lake, Moultrie, as we continue to protect the integrity of our system,” Williams said.
Wednesday’s increase to 82,000 cubic feet per second is equal to about 615,000 gallons of water per second, Williams said. Spilling will continue until further notice.
Update: 12:30 p.m.
Richland County Sheriff’s Department officials said dive teams have pulled one body from the waters near the 2100 block of Congaree Road Wednesday afternoon.
Lt. Curtis Wilson, a department spokesman, said divers located one of two people who went missing after a truck carrying five people drove through a road barricade early Wednesday morning.
Wilson said deputies responded to the 2100 block of Congaree Road after the truck drove through a barricade. The truck had been swept away by flood waters.
Three of the truck’s occupants made it to safety, Wilson said.
Wilson said dive teams will continue to search for the other individual.
So far, there have been 15 people killed throughout the Carolinas after historic rains and flooding hit the area Sunday and Monday.
If you are searching for a missing loved one, you are urged to call the Richland County Sheriff’s Department at (803) 576-3187.
Update: 11:30 a.m.
Live updates: South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley addresses media on statewide flooding
Update: 11:30 a.m.
The Columbia Fire Department will be accepting food and water donations from now until 10 p.m. on Wednesday. If you are interested in making a donation, drop non-perishable food items and water off at the fire department located at 1901 Harden St.
Food & Water donations can be dropped at the Columbia Fire Department at 1901 Harden Street from now - 10:00 p.m. pic.twitter.com/4vOFJd4ktf
— Cola Police Dept. SC (@ColumbiaPDSC) October 7, 2015
Update: 11:15 a.m.
South Carolina Department of Natural Resources officials said they are considering a brief suspension for the deer-hunting season in certain counties.
Officials said the suspension is being considered after severe rains and flooding inundated the state Sunday and Monday. Officials are consulting with staff biologists and other stakeholders to determine if conditions will merit a suspension of the season.
Officials said hunters and outdoor enthusiasts should check the DNR website for the most current information.
Update: 11 a.m.
Richland County officials said Wednesday that all court hearings scheduled to be held at Central Court, Preliminary Hearing Court and in the District Magistrate Courts are canceled for the rest of the week.
Officials said the only court that will remain open is the Criminal Domestic Violence Court and Bond Court. Their hours of operation are to be determined.
Update: 10:45 a.m.
As workers continue to stabilize water levels at the Columbia Canal Wednesday, city officials are urging citizens to minimize their water usage until further notice.
Officials said by conserving water, residents will assist the city in protecting one of the region’s main water sources while repairs are being completed.
As a remind, officials said Columbia’s boil water advisory is still in effect.
There are currently less than 10,000 customer without water service, which has decreased from 42,000 customers without water Tuesday.
Update: 10:30 a.m.
State Sen. Joel Lourie said Wednesday that from 2 to 5 p.m. at A.C. Flora High School, volunteers will give out clothing, household supplies and toiletries.
Distribution will take place in the old gym at the high school, Lourie said.
Update: 9:30 a.m.
Columbia city officials said the following water distribution sites are now open until 6:30 p.m. Wednesday night:
▪ Dutch Square (former Belk parking lot), 421 Bush River Rd.
▪ Midlands Shopping Center, 2638 Two Notch Rd.
▪ Former Sam’s Club parking lot, 1401 Sunset Dr.
▪ Richland Mall, 3700 Landmark Dr.
▪ Lower Richland High School, 2615 Lower Richland Blvd.
▪ Eastover Park, 1301 Main St., Eastover, S.C.
▪ Gadsden Community Center, 1660 South Goodwin Cir., Gadsden, S.C.
Update: 9 a.m.
Richland County Sheriff’s Department officials said they are searching for two people who went missing after a truck carrying five people drove through a road barricade.
Lt. Curtis Wilson, a sheriff’s department spokesman, said deputies responded to the 2100 block of Congaree Road after the truck drove through a barricade. The truck was then swept away by flood waters.
Three of the truck’s occupants made it to safety, while two were still missing Wednesday morning, Wilson said.
Wilson said Richland County Sheriff’s Department dive teams are in the area searching for the missing people.
Update: 8:45 p.m.
Richland County offices re-opened Wednesday, but officials cautioned employees not to return to work if it would put them at risk.
In the county, more than 100 roads and bridges were closed because of flood damage on Wednesday morning.
The county requested patience among residents because it will be operating on limited staff.
Update: 8:30 a.m.
Richland County Sheriff’s Department officials said Beaver Dam has been stabilized.
Lt. Curtis Wilson, a department spokesman, said the dam has been stabilized and is no longer in an immediate threat of failing.
Residents in the area are still urged to seek higher ground and leave the area.
Update: 8 a.m.
The Beaver Dam Road dam in Wildewood is holding again for now, but if it bursts, waters could flow Southeast into lakes in Dentsville, Arcadia Lakes and Forest Acres.
The 52-year-old Beaver dam, which holds water from a 27-acre pond in Northeast Richland, was intentionally breached Monday to relieve pressure after the historic rain storm Sunday.
But the dam has continued to deteriorate with crews trying to shore up the 24-foot-tall, 275-foot-long earthen structure.
Beaver dam holds 261 acre-feet, or 91.5 million gallons, of water, according to U,S. Army Corps of Engineers records.
If it breaks, water could flow into a smaller seven-acre pond in addition to threatening homes in Wildewood. The smaller pond has a dam holding 68 acre-feet of water, of 22.1 million gallons.
The ponds lead to a tributary of Jackson Creek, which flows through the lake in Sesquicentennial State Park before streaming into Windsor Lake in Dentsville.
Jackson Creek then flows south into the Arcadia Lakes and Forest Acres areas through Carys Lake, which had a dam breach, and Spring Lake, which has a dam that authorities have watched closely since the storm.
Beaver Dam Road dam was last inspected in 2000, though it's supposed to receive examinations every three years, according to Army Corps records.
Update: 7 a.m.
South Carolina Emergency Management officials said Wednesday morning said the Beaver Dam is in imminent danger of failing.
Scott Hawkins, a SCEMD spokesman, said officials aren’t sure when they dam is expected to fail, but “it’s beyond salvaging.”
“It’s not going to get any better,” Hawkins said. “It doesn’t mean it’s happening now, but when the dam breaks it’s going to flood.”
Any residents near Beaver Dam and Pebble Creek roads are urged to evacuate to higher ground, or A.C. Flora High School.
Lt. Curtis Wilson of the Richland County Sheriff’s Department told The State reporter at 7 a.m. that evacuation is mandatory. All residents must leave the area immediately.
On Tuesday, Richard County Sheriff Leon Lott told reporters at a press conference that if evacuation is deemed mandatory, his deputies will forcibly remove people from their homes.
6:50 a.m.
Richland officials urged residents around Beaver Dam and Pebble Creek roads to immediately seek shelter and move to higher ground. Residents could go to A.C. Flora High School.
A flash flood warning was in effect for central Richland County until 12:45 p.m., according to the National Weather Service.
Some locations that will experience flooding include Columbia, Forest Acres, Dentsville, Woodfields, Arcadia Lakes and Fort Jackson.
Recent heavy rains and floods across South Carolina that broke multiple dams and destroyed hundreds — if not thousands — of homes have turned a spotlight on the state’s dam safety program.
6:30 a.m.
Early Wednesday morning, 267 roads and 142 bridges were closed across South Carolina, according to the S.C. Department of Transportation.
Just under 30 roads and bridges were closed in Lexington County.
More than three times the amount of roads and bridges were closed in Richland County with just over 100 closed.
The S.C. Emergency Management division warns drivers not to drive around police barricades or in water.
This story was originally published October 7, 2015 at 6:37 AM with the headline "Most area schools remain closed Thursday."