South Carolina Occupational Safety and Health Administration officials said they are handing out safety supplies to those recovering from the historic floods.
Officials said OSHA employees will be traveling around the state to observe damages from the flood and recovery efforts. If any of the workers see people working without necessary safety supplies, officials said they will stop to hand out free safety supplies.
If anyone needs safety supplies in their efforts to recover from flood damages, they are urged to call the SC OSHA office at (803) 896-7665. Supplies includes hearing protection, safety glasses, gloves, dust masks, reflective vests and overalls.
Officials also offered these tips for anyone still in the recovery process:
▪ Evaluate the work area for hazards.
▪ Employ engineering or work practice controls to mitigate hazards.
▪ Use personal protective equipment.
▪ Assume all power lines are live.
▪ Use portable generators, saws, ladders, vehicles and other equipment properly.
▪ Heed safety precautions for traffic work zones.
If anyone has information regarding the recovery and proper safety techniques, they can call SC OSHA at (803) 896-7661.