A woman was found dead in a house that caught fire Friday night in Richland County.
Richland County Sheriff's deputies and fire officials responded to what they describe as a suspicious fire in the 1100 block of Quiet Lane just after 5 p.m.
While extinguishing the fire, first responders found a female victim unresponsive inside the home. The victim was pronounced dead at the scene.
The woman has been tentatively identified as 76-year-old Johnnie Mae Newton by Richland County Coroner Gary Watts. Newton died of carbon monoxide poisoning due to smoke inhalation due to the fire, Watts said.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The State
The Richland County Sheriff's Department and the Richland County Fire Marshall’s Office are investigating the blaze.
Anyone with information should call CrimeStoppers at (888) CRIME-SC.