The city of Columbia is opening its eight downtown parking garages to free parking Monday in observance of Martin Luther King Day. However, the following offices and services will be closed Monday.
Compiled by: Dwaun Sellers
▪ Federal offices
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
▪ Fort Jackson
▪ State government offices
▪ Richland County offices. Solid waste will be closed on Jan. 18 and return to a regular schedule on Tuesday, Jan. 19. Curbside trash collections will run on their normal schedules on Monday. The County’s Jim Hamilton-L.B. Owens Airport will operate from 6 a.m.-6 p.m. on Monday. The County airport is closing at 6 p.m. instead of 10 p.m. now through Feb. 4, 2016 as renovations take place.
▪ Lexington County offices. Due to the holiday, the January Council Work Session will be on Monday, January 25 at 6 p.m. in the Eli Mack Room (Town Hall). Trash Collection will run on its normal schedule.
▪ Kershaw County offices.
▪ Columbia city offices.
▪ Forest Acres city offices.
▪ Lexington town offices.
▪ West Columbia City Hall and city offices. The City of West Columbia will not collect garbage, trash or recyclable items on Monday, January 18. Customers normally receiving sanitation services on this day will have their garbage, trash and recyclable items collected on Tuesday, January 19. Sanitation customers may call the Solid Waste Office at (803) 796-8006 with any questions about the sanitation schedule.
▪ Cayce city town hall and city offices.
▪ Irmo town offices.
▪ Batesburg-Leesville offices.
▪ Springdale town offices.
▪ The South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles.
All disaster recovery centers will be closed Monday, Jan. 18. Survivors who have registered with the Federal Emergency Management Agency for disaster assistance should keep in touch. Residents can call the FEMA helpline toll free at 800-621-3362 to check the status of their applications, update contact information or ask other questions about the federal disaster assistance process. Survivors who use TTY may call800-462-7585; those who use 711/VRS can call 800-621-3362. They can also visit www.disasterassistance.gov.
▪ Post offices.
▪ Many banks and credit unions. Check with your branch to verify.
▪ Mid-Carolina Electric.
▪ Palmetto Utilities Inc.
▪ Lexington’s Joint Municipal Water and Sewer Commission offices.
▪ Richland County Recreation Commission offices, recreation and community centers.
▪ Richland Library, including the main library and all branch locations
▪ Lexington County Public Library System, including all branch locations
▪ Kershaw County Library
▪ Columbia Museum of Art
▪ The S.C. Confederate Relic Room and Military Museum
▪ The S.C. Military Museum on National Guard Road
▪ Historic Columbia Foundation houses
▪ Riverbanks Zoo and Garden
▪ The State newspaper’s advertising, business and circulation departments will be closed January 18. In the event of a delivery problem, customer service representatives are available 6-9:30 a.m. at (800) 888-3566.