Haley calls on SC Supreme Court to resolve Wilson-Pascoe ‘mess’
The S.C. Supreme Court should as soon as possible take up the legal dispute between Attorney General Alan Wilson and the special prosecutor tapped to investigate public corruption in the General Assembly, Gov. Nikki Haley said Wednesday.
Haley, speaking at an informal press conference, told reporters the dispute is “an embarrassing mess.”
“I hope that the courts will quickly intervene,” Haley said.
Since March 25, special prosecutor David Pascoe has filed two petitions in the S.C. Supreme Court. He asks the court to rule whether Pascoe or Wilson is in charge of activating a State Grand Jury in the investigation.
Pascoe, who is solicitor of the state’s 1st Judicial Circuit, is in the final stages of the investigation, but is charging that Wilson is trying to obstruct the probe, according to filings in the case.
At a press conference last week, Wilson accused Pascoe of trying to usurp Wilson’s authority in the investigation. Pascoe says Wilson has no authority because he recused himself and delegated it to Pascoe. Wilson has yet to file formal replies to Pascoe’s petitions.
Haley’s remarks came after a reporter asked for the governor’s thoughts on whether Wilson was handling the situation appropriately.
This story was originally published April 6, 2016 at 8:27 PM with the headline "Haley calls on SC Supreme Court to resolve Wilson-Pascoe ‘mess’."