Politics & Government

In final stretch ahead of SC governor’s election, here’s where the money race stands

S.C. Gov. Henry McMaster has a more than nine-to-one cash in the bank advantage over Democratic challenger Joe Cunningham heading into the home stretch of the governor’s race.

McMaster, who is seeking a second full term in office, raised $2.1 million between July 1 and Oct. 19, his campaign reported, bringing his haul for the cycle to $7.6 million.

He ended the reporting period with more than $2 million cash on hand.

That amount of cash will allow McMaster to deliver his message through the Nov. 8 Election Day, as he already has reserved air time on broadcast channels in the state’s four main television markets.

“Thanks to the governor’s hard work, the people of the state are responding – thanking him for his work, whether it is keeping businesses open during COVID or fighting for pay raises for teachers and law enforcement – and making sure he has the resources needed to tell the story of what this work has meant,” said McMaster-Evette campaign spokesman Brandon Charochak.

Cunningham raised $1.2 million between July 1 and Oct. 19, according to a news release from his campaign. It brings his haul for the cycle to $3.4 million since he launched his campaign in April 2021.

Cunningham had more individual donations during the reporting period. He campaign received 11,000 contributions. McMaster had about 3,400 contributions.

However, Cunningham ended the reporting period with $220,000 cash on hand. Cunningham went on television after McMaster did for the general election. He recently completed a college tour and has released two longer videos via social media, one featuring a woman who had an abortion after being raped when she 12 years old and one discussing the teacher shortage in the state.

Cunningham projected confidence despite the cash disadvantage.

“I am incredibly grateful for the support we have received throughout this campaign,” Cunningham said. “We have been to every corner of the state to drum up the kind of support needed to defeat Gov. McMaster and bring our state into the future.”

This story was originally published October 25, 2022 at 1:58 PM.

Joseph Bustos
The State
Joseph Bustos is a state government and politics reporter at The State. He’s a Northwestern University graduate and previously worked in Illinois covering government and politics. He has won reporting awards in both Illinois and Missouri. He moved to South Carolina in November 2019 and won the Jim Davenport Award for Excellence in Government Reporting for his work in 2022. Support my work with a digital subscription
Get one year of unlimited digital access for $159.99
#ReadLocal

Only 44¢ per day

SUBSCRIBE NOW