Politics & Government

McMaster says SC will make right choices amid measles outbreak if given all info

Amid a measles outbreak in the Upstate, Gov. Henry McMaster said he believed people would make the right decisions when it comes to protecting themselves from the disease.

The Department of Public Health says 11 cases of measles have been reported in the state this year. None of the people infected had been vaccinated for the disease.

Gov. Henry McMaster said in an interview Thursday in Columbia the Department of Public Health is making information about measles available but wouldn’t call it a push for people to get vaccinated for the measles.

“I think that we learned back in the COVID times that if you give people the proper information, full information, let them make their own decisions, and they will make the right one,” McMaster said.

McMaster did say he was concerned about the ongoing outbreak in the Upstate as it spreads easily.

“It is a dangerous disease, of course, but in terms of diseases, it’s not one that we should panic about, but people ought to know that it’s here,” McMaster said.

Joseph Bustos
The State
Joseph Bustos is a state government and politics reporter at The State. He’s a Northwestern University graduate and previously worked in Illinois covering government and politics. He has won reporting awards in both Illinois and Missouri. He moved to South Carolina in November 2019 and won the Jim Davenport Award for Excellence in Government Reporting for his work in 2022. Support my work with a digital subscription
Get one year of unlimited digital access for $159.99
#ReadLocal

Only 44¢ per day

SUBSCRIBE NOW