SC gov’s son, McMaster Jr., sits out attorney general’s race. Here’s what he said
A man with one of the most recognizable political names in South Carolina won’t be running for attorney general.
Henry McMaster Jr., son of Gov. Henry McMaster Sr., said Wednesday he will not enter the race, which now has two elected solicitors and a state senator running.
“It’s just not the right time for me,” said McMaster Jr., 37, a Columbia lawyer, indicating that — with two small children and a busy law practice at Collins & Lacy law firm — he has other priorities at this time in his life.
The post of attorney general is one of the state’s highest profile political offices. The attorney general has supervisory responsibility over criminal cases in the state including the state grand jury with its formidable investigative powers. The attorney general also oversees all litigation involving the state and its agencies.
The attorney general’s post pays $208,000 a year. The current occupant, Alan Wilson, is running for governor.
With his high name recognition and legal credentials, McMaster would have been a wild card in the Republican race, which has its primary in June. There are no announced Democrats.
Although he practices civil law at his firm, McMaster — who graduated from University of South Carolina School of Law in 2016 — spent four years as an assistant solicitor prosecuting domestic violence, criminal sexual conduct, and murder cases in the 6th Judicial District of Lancaster, Chester and Fairfield counties.
“I think there was concern among those who are running that if McMaster Jr. got in, the dad (Gov. McMaster) would obviously go to bat for his son,” said a longtime Republican operative who didn’t want to be identified because of the sensitive positions he has occupied over the years for various GOP candidates.
“From that angle, it’s probably a relief to those who are already in the race,” the operative said.
State Sen. Stephen Goldfinch, R-Georgetown, one of the three announced candidates, said, “Obviously, I’m glad to hear he’s not running. The McMaster name and legacy is a good one in South Carolina, and he would be a formidable challenger. I expected we’ll be seeing more of ‘Henry D.’ (McMaster Jr.’s nickname) in the future, and I think he deserves a seat at the table.”
Another candidate, David Pascoe, 1st Circuit solicitor, said his consultants were happy that McMaster Jr. won’t be a candidate for attorney general.
“It would have been tougher with his name recognition,” said Pascoe, adding that since Gov. McMaster is a favorite of President Donald Trump, Trump might have announced support for McMaster Jr., and that would have made the race more difficult.
The third candidate, 8th Circuit Solicitor David Stumbo, said, “Henry and his lovely wife are raising young kids, so I respect his decision completely. Statewide campaigns can be pretty taxing on a candidate... Henry Jr. is a good guy and will continue to do great things in the legal profession.”
All three candidates said McMaster Jr. had earlier given them a courtesy call to tell them he wasn’t getting in the race.