A.C. Flora wide receiver Denzel Johnson has set Wednesday for his signing day, some two and a half months after National Signing Day.
Johnson was a late qualifier and then needed a good academic semester this spring to be able to sign with a D-1 school. He accomplished that and is expected to sign with Clemson.
The Tigers have stayed with Johnson throughout the process. On multiple occasions, coach Dabo Swinney assured him he would have a scholarship for him if he met the academic standards.
▪ Clemson offensive lineman target Jack DeFoor of Calhoun, Ga., committed to Ole Miss over the weekend.
▪ Defensive end Chidi Okonya of Riverdale, Ga., committed to Tennessee Friday night. Clemson was also on short list along with Duke, Stanford and Ole Miss.
▪ Defensive back Trayvon Mullen of Pompano Beach, Fla., has Clemson in his top 10. The others are TCU, LSU, FSU, Baylor, Auburn, Florida, Ohio State, Georgia and Texas A&M.
▪ Defensive lineman Julian Rochester of Powder Springs, Ga., has Clemson third in his top 10 behind Georgia and Auburn. The rest on his list are Louisville, LSU, Tennessee, Florida, Oregon, Southern Cal and “anybody that can open my eyes.”
▪ Clemson offered defensive back Marquill Osborne of Cornelius, N.C., a Tennessee commitment and teammate of Clemson freshmen Mark Fields Jr. and Van Smith, and wide receiver Keyshawn Young of Miami.
▪ Clemson offered 2017 prospects defensive end Robert Beal Jr. of Norcross, Ga.,, wide receiver Nico Collins of Clay, Ala., linebacker Jaden Hunter of Atlanta and wide receiver Shi Smith of Union County.
▪ Clemson offered 2018 safety Mike Jones Jr. of Lebanon, Tenn.