Clemson University

‘Our hearts are just broken’: Former Clemson running back drowns in Georgia lake

A former Clemson football player drowned Friday at a Georgia state park.

Tyshon Dye was swimming with family at Richard B. Russell State Park in Elberton, Georgia, earlier in the day when the drowning happened, Elbert County (Georgia) coroner Chuck Almond confirmed Friday night.

A 911 call came in at 4:50 p.m. Friday, Almond told The State. Dye’s body was recovered from Lake Russell before 6 p.m., and his death was ruled an accidental drowning, the coroner said. The state park and lake are located right on the Georgia-South Carolina state line.

Dye was 25.

“All of our hearts are just broken,” Clemson coach Dabo Swinney said in a statement. “Our thoughts and prayers are with his family. I can honestly say Tyshon Dye is one of the sweetest souls I’ve ever been associated with or coached. We’re just all heartbroken tonight, and we’re praying for his family and know that he’s been called home.”

Dye was a native of Elberton. He arrived at Clemson in 2013 and redshirted before playing for the Tigers from 2014-16. He was part of Clemson’s 2016 team that won a national championship.

“Gone too soon. I will see you in the end zone again one day,” former Clemson quarterback Cole Stoudt shared on Twitter.

Dye rushed for 351 yards and five touchdowns with the Tigers. He graduated from Clemson with a degree in parks, recreation and tourism management before going to East Carolina as a grad transfer in 2017.

Dye rushed for 217 yards on 50 carries and added six receptions for 56 yards for the Pirates that season.

“I’ve never lost anyone really close, in my circle,” former Clemson running back Wayne Gallman posted on social media. “This one hurt real bad. Send prayers to Tyshon Dye’s family please. He was a special person that was loved by everyone.”

Dye is the second former Clemson running back to die in the past year. Former Tiger C.J. Fuller died in October from blood clots in the lungs and legs that happened in the weeks after leg surgery.