Beat an FCS squad, and suddenly, consensus evaporates.
South Carolina knocked off Wofford to move to 8-3 this weekend. The Gamecocks are now facing Clemson with the chance to perhaps pull an upset to reshape some playoff narratives.
But it’s done little to clear up the picture in the bowl projections.
Six outlets put USC in five different bowls, ranging from Liberty and Music City to Citrus or Outback. USC spent a lot of time at the latter two in the late Spurrier years, but it hasn’t been to Memphis since 2006 and has never been to Nashville for a bowl.
The State’s Josh Kendall predicted USC will land in the Outback Bowl on New Year’s Day morning.
▪ SBNation projected South Carolina will face Louisville in the Citrus Bowl in Orlando on New Year’s Day.
▪ ESPN’s Kyle Bonagura sent USC to the TaxSlayer Bowl in Jacksonville on Dec. 30 against Louisville. David Hale went with a Dec. 29 Music City Bowl against Iowa in Nashville.
▪ CBSSports’ Jerry Palm put the Gamecocks in the Music City Bowl against Purdue.
▪ SI.com had USC heading to the Outback Bowl in Tampa New Year’s Day vs. Michigan State.
▪ CollegeFootballNews put the Gamecocks in Memphis in the Liberty Bowl against Iowa.
▪ Sporting News send USC to the Liberty Bowl vs. Texas