USC Gamecocks Football

Two more expected contributors won’t play for Gamecocks today vs. ODU

South Carolina defensive back Emory Floyd (8)
South Carolina defensive back Emory Floyd (8) Special To The State

South Carolina will be without two defensive contributors for Saturday’s opener.

Defensive back Emory Floyd and edge rusher Bryan Thomas Jr. won’t play against Old Dominion, USC play-by-play announcer Todd Ellis said on the Gamecocks’ pre-game show. Ellis said both have hamstring injuries.

The game kicks off at 4:15 p.m. on SEC Network.

Thomas was listed as a probable starter with Jatius Greer on USC’s depth chart. He appeared in 12 games last year, six starts and had 22 tackles and a sack.

Floyd was listed as a backup between O’Donnell Fortune at one of the cornerback spots. The sophomore appeared in three tackles last season.

USC coach Shane Beamer previously said offensive linemen Jakai Moore and Aron Parks would miss the game and would be out a while. Defnsive back Zhbari Sandy is out for the season with a torn ACL.

Ellis said of Moore that “he will take a look on whether he wants to continue to play football or not.”

Moore is a super senior and has made 28 starts along the offensive line.

Defensive end Elijah Davis was on the dress list but wasn’t in uniform during warmups.

This story was originally published August 31, 2024 at 3:42 PM.

Lou Bezjak
The State
Lou Bezjak is the High School Sports Prep Coordinator for The (Columbia) State and (Hilton Head) Island Packet. He previously worked at the Florence Morning News and had covered high school sports in South Carolina since 2002. Lou is a two-time South Carolina Sports Writer of the Year by the National Sports Media Association. Support my work with a digital subscription
Get one year of unlimited digital access for $159.99
#ReadLocal

Only 44¢ per day

SUBSCRIBE NOW