End to Rahsul Faison’s NCAA saga could be near. Shane Beamer gives latest
Once again, Shane Beamer found himself in front of reporters talking about matters out of his control. He didn’t provide answers because there are none. Like the rest of us, he was speculating — and speculation naturally leads to frustration.
There is still no resolution from the NCAA regarding the eligibility of South Carolina running back Rahsul Faison.
“I’m optimistic that it will potentially be this week,” Beamer said Monday at the SEC Media Days preseason kickoff event.
If you aren’t familiar: Faison’s future has been in limbo since he transferred from Utah State to South Carolina in January. He signed with USC with the belief that he would be able to secure a waiver for a seventh-year of eligibility in the wake of the Pavia Rule and the NCAA’s blanket waiver for those — like Faison — who played in junior college.
While the waiver didn’t exactly apply to Faison given that he had already exhausted his five-year clock, a waiver was not out of the question, especially given the fact that Faison has really played three seasons of college football.
So South Carolina submitted Faison’s waiver to the NCAA in January, expecting he’d get the green light.
Six months later, the NCAA hasn’t given that green light. Heck, it hasn’t even declared a verdict. The NCAA has asked for more paperwork and info on Faison. The Gamecocks handed everything over. Their reward? More waiting.
So what exactly is the NCAA asking from Faison and South Carolina?
“Just some questions they had about other schools that he’s been at,” Beamer said.
With each passing week, his status for the 2025 season grows further into question. In the past month, South Carolina has already added an extra running back — Colorado transfer Isaiah Augustave — in part to increase depth and, in part, as a backup plan for life without Faison.
Beamer sounded the alarm bells back in late May, pointing out the ridiculousness that no answer had been made. Since then, Faison has hired a lawyer, Beamer has kept speaking out and Faison has kept waiting.
With just a few weeks before South Carolina begins preseason camp, Beamer said the Gamecocks are moving forward as if Faison will be eligible.
“The NCAA has been very forthcoming in their communication in regards to what they need and what they’re looking for an the issues they see,” Beamer said Monday. “It’s been a great process in regards to the communication we’ve had back and forth.
“I wish we had an answer right now. I’m optimistic that it will be sooner than later.”
This story was originally published July 14, 2025 at 8:39 AM.