Steve Spurrier takes his turn at SEC Media Days Tuesday. His appearance in the main media room starts at 10:05 a.m., and we’ll tell you everything he actually has to say then.
For now, though, let’s see how accurately predict what he’s going to say. There’s no reason to think South Carolina’s 11th-year head coach will say anything headline worthy, but Spurrier’s never needed much of a reason before so we can keep our fingers crossed I guess.
Here’s my best guess for the bullet points of Spurrier’s speech:
▪ He’ll make early mention of the Confederate flag and how happy he is that it was taken down last week.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
▪ He’ll call Connor Mitch “sort of” the frontrunner for the quarterback position and then refuse to talk much Mitch for fear of making it seems like Mitch is more than “sort of” the favorite to win the job.
▪ He’ll mention losing to Clemson last year… and almost immediately follow that by saying that loss ended a five-game winning streak in the state championship game.
▪ He’ll make a big deal out of how few representatives the Gamecocks have on any of the early preseason All-SEC teams and add that it’s not always the most talented team that wins games.
▪ He’ll be asked how much longer he plans to coach and give his standard answer, which will shed absolutely no light on the issue.
▪ He’ll say something nice about new league commissioner Greg Sankey and refer to Sankey as “a workout guy like me.”
▪ And, finally, he won’t mention that time he and I posed for a topless photo. Right? Oh please tell me he’s not going to mention that.