Ray Tanner explains latest football hire, extension
New South Carolina running backs coach Thomas Brown didn’t waste much time after getting starter.
Within a day of getting hired at South Carolina, he had contacted Jackson, Miss., running back Jerrion Ealy about a possible visit with the Gamecocks. Ealy just decommitted from Ole Miss.
He has taken an official to Mississippi State and is scheduled for Clemson this weekend and Ole Miss on the 25.
The 5-foot-9, 190 pounder is considered one of the top running back prospects in the country. As a senior, he ran 167 times for 1,526 yards (8.9 yards per carry) and 24 touchdowns, plus a team-high 398 yards. He also set a Under Armour All-America game record with 119 yards and two touchdowns.
▪ South Carolina offered 2020 defensive back Tyrus Wheat (6-foot-3, 220 pounds) of Coppiah-Lincoln, a junior college in Mississippi. He’s a native of Amite, La. He had 65 tackles and two interceptions last season. He once was committed to Missouri.
▪ USC target CB Dequanteous Watts of Atlanta was offered by Texas Tech. He’s scheduled for an official with the Gamecocks next weekend.
▪ Gamecocks 2020 offensive line commit Issiah Walker was offered by Miami and Penn State on Thursday. He was offered Wednesday by Florida State.
▪ Dorman 2020 6-foot-9 forward P.J. Hall plans to visit Clemson Saturday for the Virginia game. He was at Florida last weekend for the South Carolina game. He also plans to get to USC for a game this season.
▪ 2020 WR/RB Jaheim Bell of Valdosta, GA was offered by USC.