Linebacker Aaron Hansford (6-2 210) of Washington, DC, holds a South Carolina offer, and Gamecocks linebackers coach Kirk Botkin is making a strong push for him.
“I talk to Coach Botkin a lot,” Hansford said. “He’s a cool, funny guy. I’ve got to get down there and visit over the summer. He said he would use me as an outside linebacker or strong safety because of my ability to cover and blitz off the edge. I do have interest in them but I’ve got to learn more about their system and academics and campus life.”
Hansford is a heavily recruited prospect whose other offers include Ohio State, Michigan State, Penn State, Georgia, Kentucky, Maryland, Virginia Tech, Duke and North Carolina. He has not cut his list as he’s still investigating the programs to learn more about them.
Hansford has visited Ohio State, Penn State and Duke. He is planning a summer visit along the East Coast with stops at North Carolina, Duke, USC, Georgia and possibly Kentucky. He does have family in South Carolina.
He is planning on taking the majority of his official visits and will make his decision after the season. There is no favorite.
In other news:
▪ OL Josh Ball of Fredericksburg, Va., has moved up his announcement date from June 7 to June 5. He is coming off visits to Auburn and Florida State last week. He visited USC in April for the spring game. Some of the other schools on his short list are Duke, Maryland, Miami, Ole Miss, NC State, Penn State, Tennessee, Virginia, Virginia Tech, West Virginia and Wisconsin.
▪ Clemson and USC defensive line target Antwuan Jackson of Ellenwood, Ga., is getting close on making a commitment and it appears the Tigers and Gamecocks won’t factor into his final decision. He visited Auburn Saturday, his 10th visit with the Tigers. Georgia has also been strong with him.
▪ LB Jonathan Jones of Orlando is going on a tour of schools with some teammates and USC will be one of their stops. Some of the others will be Duke, North Carolina, NC State, Maryland, Michigan, Georgia and Georgia Tech.
▪ USC target WR Brad Hawkins Jr. of Camden, NJ, picked up an offer from Arizona Monday.
▪ Class of 2018 DB Tyreke Johnson of Jacksonville will visit UNC Tuesday and will visit Clemson and USC Wednesday.