South Carolina was a recent offer to tight end Blake Smith (6-foot-4, 247 pounds) of Dallas, Texas and Wednesday the Gamecocks had an assistant coach on hand to watch his spring practice workout. Smith couldn’t name the coach but said it was not tight ends coach Bobby Bentley. As for getting the offer from the Gamecocks, Smith was excited partially because his aunt lives in the Palmetto State, so there is a connection there.
“It’s definitely something where I’m going to take a visit to South Carolina,” Smith said. “It’s a beautiful campus. I like the head coach, I think he’s all-time hard work. I talk to the tight ends coach quite a bit. I really like his energy.”
Smith describes himself as a very athletic tight end. In fact, he also plays some quarterback. But schools like him as a tight end because he can bring a number of options to the position.
“They say I’m very versatile,” he said. “I can line up on the line with my hand in the dirt, run pass routes, block down, they say I can even flex out. They know that I can be a big mismatch for a defensive back. I can also play quarterback and put some plays in there somewhere and just use my athletic ability for my size.”
Smith has taken unofficial visits to TCU, Vanderbilt and Ohio State, but with spring ball going on now, he won’t take more until that’s complete. Among his other offers are Boston College, Colorado, Florida State, Cal, LSU, Miami, Iowa State, TCU, Virginia and Vanderbilt.
Smith said he wants to make his decision before his senior season.
▪ South Carolina offered 2021 running back Phil Mafah (6-foot-1, 218 pounds) of Loganville, Georgia.
▪ USC target running back 2021 Will Shipley of Weddington, N.C. was offered by Georgia Tech and Notre Dame.
▪ Gamecocks corner back target Art Green of Hutchinson Community College (Kansas) was offered by Texas A&M.
▪ USC target 6-foot-6 Terrence Williams will take an official visit to Notre Dame this weekend. He also has visited Stanford and Virginia.
▪ South Carolina coach Frank Martin was among the coaches in on Wednesday to see 6-foot-6 Earl Timberlake of Hyattsville, Maryland according to @stockrisers.
▪ Roanoke, Alabama 2021 defensive end Dylan Brooks said a USC coach was at his practice Wednesday. He said it was the outside linebackers coach and that would be Mike Peterson. USC has offered Brooks.