‘Come be the first, not the next,’ Muschamp tells recruits
South Carolina is looking to bring in two of the best running backs it can land for the 2020 class.
One the Gamecocks have targeted is Tank Bigsby of Georgia. And another running backs coach Thomas Brown really likes is Janari Dean of Batesville, Mississippi. Brown was scheduled to be at Dean’s spring practice Wednesday, his first chance to see him in person since offering earlier this month.
Dean found the offer from Brown to be a sign of how he really feels about him.
“For him to not recruit Mississippi all that much, it actually means something,” Dean said. “It’s shocking to me, for me to be an out-of-state player, and mean something to a school like that. He texts me every other day to see how my day is going. The night he told me that I had the offer he told me that ‘I’m offering you and you’ve got to come to camp and compete for me.’ He was like, ‘If I’m offering you, you can commit right now, you decide. I need two backs that are going to come in and play,’ so he he told me I’d get playing time if I go there.”
Dean said Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Arkansas, Indiana and Tennessee also are recruiting him with intensity, just like the Gamecocks.
“I like South Carolina. I always watched them growing up,” Dean said. “It’s a big-time offer and they have a chance. They are up there in the top five now. I don’t have a top five, but they’d fit up there.”
Coaches from Arkansas, Ole Miss, Mississippi State and Tennessee also have been through to see Dean this spring. He hasn’t scheduled any official visits but he said USC will get one. He also will attend a camp at Tennessee next month.
According to stats from MaxPreps, last season Dean rushed for 2,030 yards, averaging 6.9 yards per carry, and 18 touchdowns.
▪ USC target WR Ze’Vian Capers was offered by Missouri and Auburn.
▪ USC offered 2021 quarterback Colten Gauthier (6-3 205) of Dacula, GA. Some of his other offers are Syracuse, Kentucky, Colorado, Boston College and Duke.
▪ Class of 2021 C/INF Talmadge LeCroy of Belton Honea-Path committed to USC.
▪ USC offered 2020 6-2 point guard Reece Beekman of Baton Rouge, LA. He also has reported offers from Virginia, Houston, Marquette, Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Cal, Florida, Georgia Tech, LSU, Southern Cal, Wake Forest, Wisconsin and others.
▪ LB Bryson Eason of Memphis has set an official visit with USC for May 31, according to Rivals.
▪ USC offered DL Branard Wright (6-3 300) of Dallas. Wright is a national recruit whose offers include Clemson, Alabama, Florida, Baylor, Florida State, LSU, Georgia, Michigan, Oklahoma, Tennessee and Texas A&M.
▪ USC offered 2021 TE Jake Briningstool (6-6 210) of Brentwood, TN.
▪ USC offered WR Jimmy Calloway (5-11 166) of Morrow, GA, a Tennessee commitment.
▪ USC offered 2021 WR Walker Merrill (6-0 165) of Brentwood, TN according to Rivals. Auburn, Kentucky, Louisville and Nebraska are some other early offers.
▪ USC commitment OL Issiah Walker of Miami was offered by Auburn.