South Carolina running back commitment C.J. Freeman of Greensboro, N.C., made an official visit to Wisconsin over the weekend. The result was a somewhat-weakened USC pledge, though he remains committed.
“It was a great visit, something I enjoyed,” Freeman said. “I’m thinking about a great opportunity. They do not have a running back commitment at the moment. They are really short at running back. The coaches are all telling me they want me. I’m a top priority. They are only offering three running backs. They are trying to get me to come on board and be an early impact, the first one helping out. It’s something I’m definitely thinking about and talking to my parents about. My thought process will be better after I take all of my visits.”
Freeman also has taken an official visit to Georgia Southern. He plans to visit Louisville and USC in December, then finalize his plans because he’s an early graduate.
Freeman visited USC for the Florida game and he’s been contacted by Athletics Director Ray Tanner, who has been encouraging the Gamecocks’ commitments to hold true to their word.
“He told me they plan on knowing who the coaching staff is by the first or second week in December,” Freeman said. “He told me they definitely want me. He feels like the program is turning around and they need me to be a part of it. I still feel committed, but this visit made me think about possibilities. But I’m still committed to them.”
Freeman said he plans to make another visit to USC Saturday for the Clemson game.
Freeman had a career-high 304 yards on 34 carries and scored two touchdowns in a playoff win last Friday night. He has rushed for 1,581 yards and 19 touchdowns this season.
▪ USC defensive line commitment Darius Whitfield made an unofficial visit to USC for The Citadel game. “It went good, it was different,” he said of the visit. Asked if he’s still a firm commitment, Whitfield replied, “Of course haha, why would you ask ?”
▪ Class of 2016 running back Tyrek Tisdale of Orlando visited USC Saturday.
▪ Class of 2017 tight end Logan Rudolph of Northwestern was offered Saturday by Ole Miss and Florida. He also holds a USC offer.
▪ Class of 2017 offensive lineman Tanner Lawson (6-4, 285) of T.L. Hanna was at USC Saturday.
▪ Class of 2016 offensive lineman Phillip McDowell (6-5, 320) of Boiling Springs visited USC Saturday.
▪ Class of 2018 cornerback Dasamir Spriggins of Virginia Beach, Va., plans to visit USC for the Clemson game with Gamecocks commitment J.J. Givens.