South Carolina defensive end commitment Cecil Stallings of Tucker, Ga., made an official visit to Mississippi State over the weekend.
“I really liked it and really enjoyed it there,” Stallings told 247Sports. “It was my first time over there and I went with my aunt and my uncle. Really, everything stood out to me and I didn’t know it would be that nice.”
Stallings is also looking at USC and Ole Miss for visits. Stallings has not decommitted from USC but he is considering his other options.
He told 247Sports that “"Mississippi State has to be first or second for me right now” and that a visit to USC was not yet set.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Tight end waiting
Tight end Pro Wells of St. Petersburg, Fla., decommitted from Marshall on Friday and visited UCF over the weekend.
He recently was offered by USC and wanted to take an official visit to Columbia this coming weekend but has not heard back from the Gamecocks since getting the offer. That has left his visit up in the air. He has reached out to his recruiter Bryan McClendon.
“If they do get back in touch, I’ll reconsider the visit,” Wells said.
He is scheduled to visit Iowa State this weekend and Marshall on Jan. 29. Wells plans to wait until signing day to announce a decision.
News and notes
▪ USC WR commit Tre Jackson of Baton Rouge, La., visited Tulane this past weekend. “Great time in the big easy,” he said via Twitter.
▪ 2018 QB Dakereon Joyner of Fort Dorchester was offered by Auburn. He has a USC offer as well.
▪ DE Allen Cater of Kennesaw, Ga., made an official visit to North Carolina over the weekend. He did not commit but he said he thoroughly enjoyed the visit. He plans to visit USC this coming weekend. He also has visited Arkansas and Indiana but is no longer considering the Hoosiers. He said coaches from Arkansas and North Carolina plan to make in home visits with him this week.
▪ QB Tylin Oden of Columbia, Tenn., will take an official visit to Rutgers Wednesday. USC has shown interest but no offer yet. He is scheduled to visit Iowa State Jan. 22.
▪ Athlete Stephen Davis Jr. did make his official visit to Auburn this past weekend and is for USC this coming Friday.
▪ DB Malek Young of Coconut Creek, Fla., committed to Miami Friday and said he’s done with recruiting. He was scheduled for USC next weekend.
▪ 2017 LB Markail Benton of Phenix City, AL has USC in his current top 10. The others are Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Miami, Mississippi State and Ole Miss.
▪ USC is interested in 2017 DE Mike Allen of Sugar HIll, Ga., but has not yet offered.