Jamyest Williams intrigued by opportunity presented at USC
Defensive back Jamyest Williams of Loganville, Ga., will be spending plenty of time in the Palmetto State this weekend.
Williams plans to attend Clemson’s All In cookout Friday and South Carolina’s Spurs Up cookout Saturday.
“I’ll be just visiting, hanging out and having a good time with some of the other teammates and guys there already,” Williams said on his plans for the cookouts.
The 5-foot-9, 195-pound Williams has offers from both the Tigers and the Gamecocks and has listed them in his top five, along with Ohio State, Georgia and Tennessee. However, he said there are different reasons why he likes each school.
“I like the atmosphere and the family atmosphere at Clemson,” he said. “At South Carolina, I like my relationship with Coach T-Rob and the campus environment. It’s a good environment.”
Ultimately, Williams said his decision will come down to academics and will largely be based on his family’s feelings. He does not have any more visits coming up this summer and plans to wait until the end of the season to announce his commitment decision, which he will pick from his top five schools.
News and notes
▪ RB Chase Hayden of Collierville, Tenn., will announce his commitment decision Sunday night. USC, which had been high up on his list, is out of the picture and he will choose either Arkansas, Missouri or Oklahoma State.
▪ Ran Tut of Monroe College (NY) spoke with USC basketball assistant coach Perry Clark Thursday. “He said they’re still interested and just working on some things.” Tut, who had considered making a decision Friday with Wisconsin-Milwaukee the other school under consideration, said he will now wait until at least next week to hear back from the Gamecocks.
▪ Class 2018 Wilson DE Xavier Thomas will visit USC Friday. Has offers from from USC and Clemson along with several others from across the country.
▪ OL Cordavien Suggs of Neptune Beach, Fla., released his top five Thursday and it doesn’t include USC. He had USC in his top 10. His five are Mississippi State, South Florida, Tennessee, North Carolina and Louisville.
▪ DB Yusuf Corker of Stockbridge, Ga., said he remains very interested in USC and still has the Gamecocks as one of his top schools. He last visited in April. Corker also likes West Virginia, Tennessee, Auburn and North Carolina.