As we begin to look forward to the next cycle in recruiting, the Class of 2017, I will start off with my statewide top five prospects. This is a preliminary list and players could rise and fall in the rankings, but as it stands right now, this is the best of the Class of 2017.
1. Logan Rudolph, DE, Northwestern (6-4, 230): Rudolph is a monster coming off the edge and is the 16th-ranked strongside end in the nation with Rivals. He’s athletic enough to play weakside end and play in space as well.
2. Davondre Robinson, DB, Lake Marion (6-0, 190): The sixth-ranked safety in the class, Robinson covers a lot of space as a free safety, but can lay the lumber and plays aggressive as a strong safety as well.
3. Or’Tre Smith, WR, Wando (6-3, 220): Big-framed wide receiver has great hands and battles for the ball very well. He uses his body to his advantage with the ball in the air.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The State
4. Will Register, TE, Chapin (6-4, 240): Register is an athletic big man with a strong skill set that will enable him to move around in an offense as a TE or H-back. Great feet and solid hands.
5. Shi Smith, WR, Union County (6-0, 170): Speed as an outside receiver and can stretch the field. Has good hands and fights well to create separation. What I like best about him is he blocks well downfield.