As Lexington awaits the opening of the Midlands' first Lidl grocery store at 5215 Sunset Blvd. (the company has yet to announce an opening date), here's a sneak peek at what top business writers, economists and savvy shoppers say are the top five items to buy there once the doors open.
Lidl (prounounced lee-duhl) is a global grocery store chain, with 10,000 stores in 27 countries, according to The Washington Post. It is known for offering a limited assortment of goods, many of them private label, at ultralow prices, according to The Post.
5. Toys. Yes, toys. Though it may be a grocery store, Lidl sells a sizeable amount of non-grocery items such as toys, outdoor furniture, workout equipment and clothing — including a line of clothes designed by German-born super model Heidi Klum. Most of these items can be found in the store's regularly updated "Surprises!" section.
4. Beef. All of Lidl's beef products are black Angus, according to the company’s website, and there is a wide selection of antibiotic-free meat, as well.
3. Wine. Lidl is very proud of its vast wine selection. The store uses a color-coded chart to help choose between its 120 varieties — more than 100 of which are private label.
2. Organic foods. Lidl offers a steep discount on almost all things organic — fresh or canned/frozen. Lidl brand organic meats, vegetables, fruits, dairy and packaged items for a fraction of the cost of organic goods at most grocery chains. The store also has a wide selection of gluten-free foods.
1. Anything in the "Fresh 5 Deals" section. Right inside the front doors of every Lidl location is a section of deals and steals available that week in the store's produce department. Items here are on a significant markdown for their featured week.