USC basketball players released on bond after being charged with property crimes
Police say a property-crimes investigation that landed two University of South Carolina basketball players in jail Thursday is ongoing.
USC freshman guard Jamall Gregory is charged with one count of malicious injury to real property and three counts of malicious injury to personal property, according to the Columbia Police Department. USC freshman forward Eric Cobb is charged with malicious injury to private property and third-degree assault and battery.
The students were booked Thursday at the Richland County jail. Judge Kristy Goldberg released the two on personal recognizance bonds – $8,520 for Gregory and $4,260 for Cobb.
Attorney Seth Rose, a Richland County councilman, represented the students during the bond hearing.
“Eric and Jamall are good young men that have never been in trouble before,” Rose said. “They are presumed innocent at this point in the process. Everyone makes mistakes, especially kids of this age. If it is determined in our review of the evidence they have done something wrong or illegal, we will make it right so they can move forward and learn from the experience.”
“We are aware of the allegations against Eric Cobb and Jamall Gregory and we will have no further comment at this time due to this being a legal matter,” coach Frank Martin said in a statement.
No alleged victims attended the bond hearing. Both men have court dates set for 8 a.m. April 1.
Columbia police initiated an investigation earlier this month into property crimes in downtown Columbia neighborhoods in collaboration with the University of South Carolina Division of Law Enforcement and Safety.
Police say that on March 7, Cobb is accused of shooting a “BB pellet gun” at an occupied vehicle while at the 2100 block of Blossom Street. The male victim in the car was not injured, but the right rear passenger door was damaged.
On March 9, police say Gregory used a such a device to damage three cars along the 900 block of Laurens Street. The incident damaged two windows and a door, according to police. He also is accused of using the BB gun to damage the side of a building at the 800 block of Park Street March 6.
Under USC athletic department policy, Cobb and Gregory will remain suspended from all team activities until their legal situation is cleared. Cobb and Gregory were already suspended by Martin before their arrests, along with Marcus Stroman, TeMarcus Blanton and Chris Silva.
Stroman, Blanton and Silva remain suspended from the team as well, a statement said.
Staff writer David Cloninger contributed.
This story was originally published March 17, 2016 at 3:51 PM with the headline "USC basketball players released on bond after being charged with property crimes."