Frank Martin’s job of turning South Carolina into a winner has been applauded by several national basketball powers.
His university applauded as well, and is making sure Martin will be around to sustain it.
Athletics director Ray Tanner met with Martin Monday and offered him a four-year contract extension, sources with direct knowledge of the negotiations told The State. With two years left on his original deal following this season, the four added years would keep Martin at USC through 2022.
Martin would also receive increased compensation to his current $2.1 million salary. With any contract extension, Martin’s buyout would likely increase as well.
Never miss a local story.
Last year, Tanner told The State he was a big fan of Martin, and would like for him to be the Gamecocks’ coach for many years. He’s been working on the extension for several weeks.
Any contract has to be approved by the USC Board of Trustees.
Martin has been mentioned by some media members this season as a potential candidate for jobs at UNLV and Memphis (which has yet to open, but is likely to). After his first two years at USC were 14-win seasons, Martin improved to 17 last year despite finishing with a thin roster.
The Gamecocks began with 15 consecutive wins this season, the second-longest winning streak in program history, and set a program record for most regular-season wins (24). USC can tie the program’s winningest team (the 1969-70 squad went 25-3) with one more win, had a winning SEC record for just the fourth time in 25 years in the league and won’t play on the first day of the SEC Tournament for just the third time since 1998.
While it’s not definite, USC is projected to be an NCAA Tournament team. The Gamecocks should make their ninth overall appearance, and first since 2004. Martin’s also a heavy candidate for SEC Coach of the Year, which should be announced this week.
Follow on Twitter at @DCTheState